If you have gone through a difficult event, you may be experiencing some emotional and physical reactions to what has occurred.
Common reactions are:
- sleep disturbances
- feeling overwhelmed
- strong emotions such as fear, guilt, anger or sadness
- slow and confused thoughts
- replaying the event over and over
- withdrawing from others
These reactions are common, and in fact quite normal. With understanding and support they will pass. Activities that will help this recovery process include:
- talking with people who are good listeners
- expressing feelings as they arise
- eating well balanced, regular meals
- getting plenty of rest
- connecting with people who care about you
- talking with a professional if these feelings become too prolonged or intense
To find out more information regarding reactions to traumatic events, or to talk about an event that may be causing you some distress, call Bow Valley Victim Services at 403-760-0197.